Monday, August 1, 2016

Anxiety-Go! Vs. Anxiety-No!

So, I've realized that anxiety reactions tend to go one of two ways - Anxiety-Go! or Anxiety-No!

Let me clarify.

Recently I encountered someone who was so anxious about work that was due that he just didn't do it and procrastinated until he was in complete panic mode.  I would call this, Anxiety-No!  You just say no and ignore the problem to avoid the anxiety.

This is something I've always had trouble understanding because I am a fixer.  When something is wrong or causing me anxiety, I generally want to do whatever I can to make the problem go away.  Anxiety-Go!

The issue lately is that I've been facing anxiety-provoking situations that are completely out of my control.  I can't take the reigns.  It's frustrating and just raises the anxiety to new levels.

My therapist says that I need to take the "positive" steps that are within my control or the anxiety will just keep building.  She clearly is more supportive of the Anxiety-Go style.  

I understand where she's coming from, but sometimes you really do just have to wait and see.  They say patience is a virtue... it's also a bitch.  That being said, if you aren't being avoidant, learning to wait can be a triumph within itself. 

2 comments:

  1. You've got that right! Waiting can be tough -- but essential! Keep on keeping on, Laura!

    ReplyDelete