Tuesday, May 31, 2016

OCD Dieting

Dieting sucks.  I know "diet" is now a four letter word... so instead let's just say I've put on like 10 pounds and need to "make a lifestyle change."

Diet Portion vs. Epic Portion
Changing eating habits is difficult for everybody, but OCD can add an interesting component to the mix.  Calorie counting or sticking to a regimen are ripe situations for over analysis.  Basically, you have to make sure you don't tag an obsession onto your new habits.

In the past, when I've tried to diet I used that MyFitnessPal app.  You can log everything that you eat and it counts up the calories for you.  It's a brilliant concept: it helps keep you in line, it makes you more aware of what you're eating, and it's easy to use.  However, it can become an OCD nightmare.

I was so worried about under-counting and accidentally eating too much that I was always overestimating what I had eaten.  When you're given a limit of ~1200 calories a day, overestimating can leave you very underfed and angry.  This is different than anorexia, it's more an obsession with accuracy than anything else... or at least with not cheating (I'd much rather overestimate than underestimate).  

I never kept these diets going very long because I would get frustrated.  Not eating all the delicious food that you want can make you irritable enough...Maintaining a diet when you're overly concerned with a log is just shooting yourself in the foot.

So this time I'm trying it on my own without a counter or a log and just trying to eat less and make better choices.  So far I've been good for like a week (Triumph!).  Hopefully this can continue without spiraling out of control.

6 comments:

  1. I have a hard time dieting and I do not have OCD. The only thing that is working but working very slowly is lifestyle changes that have been years in the implementing. Best of luck with your lifestyle changes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is hard! But we have to do it to move forward.

      Delete
  2. Well, Laura, you can tell from looking at me that dieting is not my greatest skill set. The lifestyle changes are incremental, bit by bit. I know this -- knowing and doing don't always match, though. Let's just say I feel your pain. I'm going to check out your fitness pal, though. That might help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MyFitnessPal can be very helpful if you don't get unhealthily into it. It makes you a lot more cognizant of what you're eating.

      Delete
  3. Goodness I can say that I will never diet successfully...I love ice cream too damn much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream is delicious and definitely a problem, but my kryptonite is Doritos. :)

      Delete