Monday, May 16, 2016

Magic Numbers

Which number has the power?
Numbers are fascinating.  Counting is one of the first things that we learn, then there's that whole field of mathematics, and most of us have a favorite number.

Some people with OCD have something special that is sometimes referred to as a "magic number." Sounds fancy, right?

Well, it's really a trap.  This number becomes the amount of times that they have to do something to feel safe.  

An example helps:  If the person's magic number is "3", then they might have to check the stove three times to make sure it's off, or turn the light switch on and off three times before they leave a room.

I've never had a magic number.  Some people would say that makes me lucky, but really it's a different kind of tragedy.  I don't know when to stop.  Sometimes, I have to do an action (like check my time card) over and over and over and over until the anxiety dies.

I have tried to apply the "magic number" 3 before.  3 is manageable.  3 is nice!  3 doesn't take up too much time. 

Sometimes this works, but what I've generally found is that you can't choose your magic numbers.  Apparently, they choose you.  

As someone with OCD, but not this particular quirk, this concept is fascinating to me.

If you're interested in learning more about "Magic Numbers" from an expert perspective, this article might help: http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspectives/articles/your-number-is-up-magical-numbers-and-ocd

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I like the idea of the number limit. I know there are times I'll go back and recheck something several times, knowing I've already checked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, as long as it's a limit and not a forced amount of times that you have to do something. Really I'd love to get to the point where I don't have to recheck at all!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting, Laura. I like the idea of the magic number. One would be good but more likely two or three, I think. I'll have to check the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an interesting concept. Ultimately you hope not to need a number!

      Delete
  3. I love how you open up to us on here...thank you as always. I have a magic number of 217 because there are only 217 days until Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a much more fun magic number!

      Delete